Sunday 18 March 2018

The Golden Dragon Emperor of Cathay.

I've still been sorting out miniatures, and being ill, so I have'nt really been productive in painting or blogging. However, I have been full of ideas for armies, which I promise will be blogged on soon!

One of the ideas I have is for a 3rd Edition Warhammer army for Cathay. Now Cathay was the Warhammer Worlds equivalent of China. Unlike Nippon (the Warhammer equivalent of Japan), Cathay never really had a lot of attentionat the time. There was a little background, and a few 'Chinese' looking miniatures, but very little else. Post 3rd Edition the background was expanded a little, but again not a lot.

However, one of the things I did read about was that Cathay was (unsuprisingly) a land of Dragons, and the Cathay Emperor was rumoured to be a Golden Dragon in human form. I quite like this idea, and so decided to paint up an old Ral Partha Draconian miniature from 1989 to represent the Emperor in a more humanoid form. I chose gold for the skin, and Imperial Chinese yellow for the robes. He was great fun to paint, and I can quite imagine him as a Level 25 Wizard leading a Cathay army.

As an aside, concerning the Cathay army I have an idea. As I am building a series of armies only using Oldhammer era miniatures, am a little stuck for Chinese/Cathay miniatures. I have a few warriors from the Oriential Heroes ranges, but the only Chinese infantry miniature Citadel made was one in the Blanford Warriors range. Whilst still for sale from Wargames Foundry, he comes as part of a pack of other miniatures, rather than individually, and so not easy to build up an army from him, especially using one of the Human army lists.

So the plan is/might be is to use the High Elf army list (bare with me on this). As Cathay is a land of Dragons, the High Elf army list allows for five Dragons as part of the rank and file allowance, two Dragons in a bound monstrous host, and several Dragons as War Beasts for characters. The only non-Dragon miniatures would be the Emperor and maybe a Manadrin Wizard or two, so using High Elf profile for them is'nt too strange. It would be an interesting army to paint and field. As for Oldhammer era Dragons, I can use the re-released Ral Partha Celestial Dragons miniatures. 

Enjoy. :)
 The Golden Dragon Emperor.
I love this miniature, he has a great feeling of power and menace. He faintly reminds me of Thulsa Doom.
I chose the yellow to give that Imperial Chinese look. The sculpting on his beastplate is lovely.
 Beckoning barbarians to their doom.
 Rear view.
The Ral Partha Celestial Dragon. I plan to use five or six of these in the army, but I will have to send off to the USA for them.

Next week (I do promise to update next week too!) will be a few Nipponese miniatures I have been working on, including the C23 Oriential Ogre.

10 comments:

  1. I have always felt the lack of cathay miniatures was a missed opportunity by GW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. The lack of Cathay miniatures, and the side-lining of Nippon really lost an added dimension to the Warhammer World. I am sure that it would have helped later editions of Warhammer with it's popularity in Far Eastern markets, as well as in the West.
      I am also working on an army of Ind, which again was a missed opportunity of GW's.

      Delete
  2. Your choice and painting of the Emperor model looks great, great idea to use the high elves list, to get all the dragons you need in one army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am looking forward to starting the army, but it won't be started for a few weeks until I can get all the Dragons. I thought I would try something different rather than just collect another human based army with different miniatures.

      Delete
  3. Having just picked up another thirty Samurai figures this weekend I most heartedly agree with your sentiment, Lee. GW did and continue to miss a trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, GW has missed out on, and is missing out on a lot of areas it could be developing.

      Was it you who won the auction on e-bay with the Fox Priest and all the Chinese Wizards in? I was watching that and was going to bid, but changed my mind.

      Delete
    2. I think I am, but I'd have to take a look at the item again,to be sure. Plus the seller lives in the same town as me, so it was also a chance to meet a fellow wargamer and find out what else they've got ;).

      Delete
  4. Just picked up the item yes, they appear to be the item you describe - Happy bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, enjoy whatever you do with them. :)

      Delete
  5. Their in the Cleaning jar, should hit the painting table - next year, if I'm lucky.

    ReplyDelete