Tuesday 17 April 2018

The 13th Warrior: Unreleased Space Slann.

I have always loved the background and miniatures associated with the Rogue Trader era Space Slann. I collected and fielded a small army of Space Slann early on in the Rogue Trader era, and was always disappointed that GW never expanded them as a race.

The Space Slann themselves were released early in Rogue Trader, in 1987, and were never very easy to collect at the time unless via direct mail order. With a limited release, they became less easy to find, until the advent of e-bay when sellers started offering them either on open auction, or varying levels of 'Buy it Now' prices. Ironically, it was often easier to buy the Space Slann 20-30 years after they were released then at the time!

I had, up until a few years ago, most of the twelve Space Slann which had been released, although I was still missing a couple. E-bay enabled me to buy the final missing Space Slann, and also collect at least one each of the 12 released. It was during my searches on e-bay that I realised that there was a 13th Space Slann miniature which had been produced, but not released. I am unsure of it's background, but as far as I know from conversations online, this Space Slann was a later (than 1987) concept model for a re-boot of the race which never happened, and may have been produced in the early 1990's (still in the rogue Trader era). I am not sure of the exact details, or the sculptor.

Anyway, when I saw this Space Slann on e-bay it was always for large amounts of money (£100+), and whilst it was a miniature I wanted, I was'nt prepared to pay that for it, and contented myself with having a pleasant Slann force with all the TSF18 range of 12 Space Slann I always wanted. However, a few weeks ago I had a stroke of luck when one of the Space Slann which had been on 'Buy it Now' for ages went of a percentage off sale, after it's 'Buy it Now' price had been slowly dropping each listing for some months. I thought now or never, and finally bought the last Slann for £56.25, a lot for a miniature, but as I had just been paid my bonus at work, I thought, why not?

...and so here it is, the Unreleased Space Slann.

Enjoy :)
Front view.
He (or she?) is a Slann armed with what looks like some sort of las-gun, although I am sure it could be used as something similar.
The head is unusual. It looks similar to the style of Slann heads used for the Slann in the Magnificent Sven Scenario in Warhammer Fantasy Battle 2nd Edition, with the head crest. I have seen this painted more as a helm rather than flesh, but I like to think of this crested Slann as a sub-species.
I have, like all the other Space Slann, opted for bright colours and thought a green skin tone would suit it well, and give a good darker base to the gold of the gun and the bright colours of the fur.
Rear view.
I painted the fur pink-ish to give that other-world/1970's feel I have done for with the other Space Slann I have. The detailing of the sculpt is great, with a lots of fur tokens, flowers, a few pouches, and a sword.
Close up of the head. I like the visor, ususual and very 1980's sci-fi looking.

Front view unpainted and ink washed.
Rear view.
All 13 of the Space Slann.

I am currently painting some miniautres for the Magnificent Scenario, so will probably update on these next week.

9 comments:

  1. Excellent crowning glory to your collection and one you rarely see painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's nice to have the set. I did'nt think I would ever get this Slann, but I was lucky on e-bay.

      You're right, it is an unusual miniature to see painted. I did an internet search and could only find a couple of others painted. I was wfun to paint.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know of that mini, it's an interesiting discovery, and surely a nice paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was nice to set aside a couple of hours to enjoy painting it.
      I did'nt know about it until I started looking on e-bay. There is an entry on it at the Stuff of Legneds, part of Orclord's collection:
      http://www.sodemons.com/rhrare/40kspacefrog/index.htm

      Delete
  3. What a great collection of Slann, and an excellent find with the ultra rare one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do like the Slann. My full Slann army can be found on my blog here:
      http://goblinlee.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/space-slann-painted.html

      After buying this Slann I have bought a few more Space Slann and am tinkering with the army slightly, changing a couple of the heavy weapons and I will be re-basing them at some point.

      Delete
  4. Nice collection, for once I'm not following you down this road, as I was never taken with the figures, but can appreciate your dedication to collecting the set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The Slann were not to everyone taste, but I have a soft spot for them.
      I like the look of your Norse/Vikings.

      Delete
  5. is there anyway to contact you privately?

    ReplyDelete