Friday 9 November 2018

'Scottish' Iron Claw 40k Squats.

Just for the fun of it, I have painted three test models from my 1980's Rogue Trader Era Iron Claw Squats collection. I have a small army of these, about 40 or so. I don't intend painting the army yet, I just wanted try out an idea.

I have been wondering how to paint my Iron Claw Squats for a while. I have broken down and expanded my original Squat army into four other Squat armies, and their (new) paint schemes are decided. However I wanted something interesting for these. I am currently preparing to paint some miniatures for the McDeath Scenario, and so I have Scottish themes current in my mind.

So I thought why not give these Squats a Scottish flavour? The idea was slightly touched on in the plastic Squat box set art with the red and white cap bands, and has been an ascpet of fantasy Dwarfs for a while. I think it looks good and is a different approach, it fits in with the clan idea of Squats, and also the idea that the Squats were orignally human colonists from Earth. When I get around to painting all of them I plan use a different tartan pattern for each of the Brotherhoods in the army.

Enjoy :)
 Three Squat troopers.
As the Squat models are wearing trousers, I considered them as trews. I opted for bright colours to offset the darker green of the jacket.
To add a little more Scottishness I painted the footwear as a combination of black brogues and white gaiters, as per a more Highland Scottish infantry uniform. Overall, I have tried to keep the paint scheme simple, with the main focus being drawn to the tartan.
 Trooper with Las-gun.
I really like this sculpt, full of character. I never liked the Iron Claw Squats in the 1980's, but quite like them now.
 Rear view showing the backpack.
 Auto-gun armed Squat.
Rear view.
 The second Las-gun armed Squat.
I added some Warlord Games Heather Tufts to the base.
 Rear view.
Next update will be something on McDeath Scenario miniatures.

9 comments:

  1. Great idea Lee, the bright colours work really well with the small amount of surface area on the models

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was a little concerned that it might not work on such a small area, but I think that the bright colours of the tartan and the white gaiters make up for that.

      Delete
  2. You're a good man, you know that ? ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I really like what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the idea, thank you. I thought it might add something to stop the miniatures looking a little too drab.

      Delete
  4. That's as insane as great. I really love what you did here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber. :) I thought it might be a little crazy, but I thought I would give it a try to see how it would turn out.

      Delete
  5. Great Squats! I like that more military look.

    ReplyDelete