Saturday 19 March 2022

Turnip28: The Beasts of the Beetroot Regiment.

 Stalking the muddy fields of Cist, The Beasts of the Beetroot Regiment, part human, part root, part beast, and probably slightly more towards to dead side of things!

I have been busy with a lot of Oldhammer things, and so I wanted to get a little Turnip28 done for the fun of it. I had spent Christmas last year kit bashing various Turnip28 related nonsense, and this regiment was one of the results. The regiment is quite small and simple, three Snobs, two units of Brutes, one unit of Chaff, and one unit of Bastards.

I wanted a bestial looking regiment, but at the time didn't posses any beast type heads except the Citadel skull ones. I tried them out and they looked quite good, and so I dedicated to make an undead beast regiment. The infantry were quite simple, just adding the skulls onto the bodies and adding some grass tufts. I used Napoleonic French bodies for the Brutes, Napoleonic English for the Chaff. The Snobs were the same except I added a few War of the Roses arms and used bigger Skulls.

The Bastards were more involved. I used French Napoleonic Cavalry (Hussars I think) as a basis, and then added greenstuff and skulls, with a variety of bits from bits boxes. I wanted to give the 'horses' an undead look without being skeletal, and so added the giant skull from the Citadel Skull box set to them. I think it gives them a very John Blanche artwork look.

Painting wise was very simple. I wanted to give the regiment a 'raw' undead look. So, after a black undercoat, I dry brushed them dark brown, then a dark red (Citadels Khorne Red), and then lightly dry brushed the bone Citadel Screaming Skull. I picked out some of the metal and wood details, painted the trouser blue to complement the red, and then dry brushed them all with Citadel Steel Legion Drab. Vallejio mud was then used for the bases. They took no more than a couple of hours to paint (not including the undercoating time) one evening. One of the things I love about Turnip28 is the speed one can just assemble and paint a regiment. It's fun too! :)

Enjoy :)

The Beasts of the Beetroot Regiment.
Because of the red dry brushing used I chose Beetroot as their root of choice.
Toff.
I have mounted the Toffs on 40mm bases to give them more of a presence, and to differentiate them from the Toadies and other ranks. The Toadies incidently are on 30mm bases for the same reasons. 
"We bestial Bastards three!"
Three heavy cavalry. I am very pleased with he way in which these have turned out.
Unit Leader.
Unit Leader right hand side view.
Second Bastard.
Right hand side view.
The third Bastard.
Right hand side view.

Chaff.
The chaff on the right is made using a Kroot skull with the spines removed.
The chaff on the right is made with an Ork skull without a lower jaw added.
The first unit of Brutes.
Toadie, on his 30mm base.
Brutes on a 2x3 movement tray.
Brutes.
Brutes.
Brutes.
The second unit of Brutes.
Toadie.
The second unit of Brutes.
Brutes.
The horse skull Brute is one of my favourite. I only have one spare horse skull, which was fine as I wanted him to stand out a little.
Brutes.
Brutes.


Some thing a little different.
I have also kit bashed many non undead Turnip28 miniatures. The plan is to paint them in the 'conventional' Tirnip28 manner, but I thought I would try out a few with a little more Ethereal look. I think they turned out quite well, and so I will paint up of of the regiments like this.


I am still painting my way through my Empire Helblitzen Regiment, and I am about two thirds of the way through. I am also assembling some Perry miniatures Zulu War British, but in the Home Service uniform. I might also see if I can paint the Ethereal Turnip28 regiment, and finish offa couple of random Oldhammer things at some point.

8 comments:

  1. More great looking units Lee, the conversion work works really well on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. The conversions were easy to do, and the painting is quite straightforward. They are quite fun to do.

      Delete
  2. Your imagination has really gone wild ... with very good results! It's the most original way we've seen the Citadel skull set used so far, and we really like these creatures, marching on very muddy ground (an idea to steal for undead beastmen in Warhammer Fantasy).
    We just finished reading Moorcock's book "The War Hound and the World's Pain", and your creations immediately reminded us the bizarre horsemen and soldiers in Arioch's army chasing the protagonist at the end of the story - Napoleonic uniforms aside ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      The Citadel Skull set is really lovely for unusual skulls, and indeed human skulls in great quantity.I thought that making undead Beastmen had a creepy, almost Dark Magic/Occult feel to them which is prevalent in old horror books and films, especially of the 1970's. I wanted to add to that by giving them that slightly extra horror feel with dark red colour undertone to the painting.
      I haven't read "The War Hound and the World's Pain", I will have to search it out as I do like Moorock.

      Delete
  3. They are evocative, daring, scary... I do love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I wanted to try something different with a slight horror feel.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Love these! Especially those ghastly horse things! A lovely and very cohesive-looking army!

    ReplyDelete