Wednesday 9 October 2019

RT302 Squat Command Group.

More early era Squats, this time the RT302 Space Dwarfs/Squat Command groups.

Released in 1988, the Command Group range were sculpted by the Perry Twins. Only the Squats, Space Orks and Eldar/Space Elves had dedicated Command Group releases. Like their fantasy counterparts, the Command Groups consisted of four elements; the Commander (Leader); Champion; Standard Bearer; and Musician. Also like their fantasy cousins, the command groups were based on four sculpts, with the other miniatures based on an initial sculpt for each of the four.

Sculpting wise they were very close to the initial Squat releases. The style of armour, helmets, and overall look and feel fits in nicely with the early releases. Also, the las-pistols used are the same sculpt as those used by other Imperial forces, notably the Imperial Army. The Bolters and Power Fists too. Interestingly, the one Power Axe used is the same as the Space Ork one. Personally I always liked the fact that a lot of the early equipment, Imperial, or Xenos, was similar or the same. It suggested a series close knit inter-warring groups who used similar tech. It also made the early Tyranids seems more 'out there' with their bio equipment.

I like this range. They had a limited practical use. They didn't really fit too well in the Book of the Astronomican army lists (although I've had a go!). They fit in fine with the later 1989 Squat list as troopers, or alternatives to the Hearthguard models, although I always felt that their armour seemed too heavy looking for just the troopers flak armour.

Enjoy :)
RT302 Squat Command.
Like the other Squat releases, they also seems to have several 'weapon names', such as 'Beretta', 'Ingram', 'Sterling', etc.
The same range, which I have painted.
The Champions.
They are all based on the same sculpt, and have a Power glove on thier right hand/arm.
Vikas Ingram.
He is a quite cybernetic looking. I painted the skull, shoulder pad, armour, backpack, and power fist in a shiney chrome to link them all. 
Rear view.
Ragni Beretta, armed with a power axe.
Rear view.
 Vollmer Adams.
Rear view.
Commanders.
They are all armed with Chainswords and Las-Pistols, but with different headgear and faces.
I like the medals they are wearing as too.
Lorenzi Forsyth.
He seems to be wearing a helmet similar to the Ancient Greek Corinthian helmet, a form of which was used in the late 18th, and early 19th Centuries.
Rear view, with a better view of the helmet.
 Brew Ithaca, with a quiff and cool shades.
 Rear view.
 Uzi Makarov.
He is wearing a plumed version of the 'standard' Squat helmet.
Rear view.
The Standard Bearers.
There is some variety in the details of the standards, and each of the bearers have different heads, but otherwise they are the same.An interesting detail is that they all have the 'Wound stripe' from p162 of Rogue Trader rule book on thier right shoulder pad. A couple of the Commanders also have this on thier helmets.
Hughes Phalanx.
Rear view.
Lisle Sterling.
Rear view.
Garand Steyr.
Again with the Squat cigar smoking! :)
Rear view.
Close-up of Garand's helmet, embossed with 'Kil', in the finest Rogue Trader era tradition.
Muscians.
They all are keyboard players (although they might be vocalists too!).
Grom Atchison.
Rear view.
Mortimer Gast.
It's a great name. :)
Rear view.
(sorry about the blurred photograph).
Galil Lankhester.
Rear view.

Next update will be even more, yet more, oh my God not more, Squats!! I have been painting a lot of them you know. :)

11 comments:

  1. Well you have been productive. Looking good though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely once again. You certainly know what you are doing here, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am trying to keep to the early Rogue Trader era theme, and I'm having a lot of fun painting them in line with the old colour themes.

      Delete
  3. Great painting on your command groups Lee, and what a complete collection you have there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It took a little while to source one of the Standard Bearers, but I've had them for a while now and I have been wanting to paint them properly, closer to the old paint schemes.
      I have all of the different non Iron Claw sculpt Squats from the time, so I might do a retrospective blog update on the early era Squats as a whole.

      Delete
  4. Some great additions to your collection

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that the Space Elves also had a command group, with harp players and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, I forgot about them. When I was typing I thought "I am sure there was another" set of Command Groups!". I even own the miniatures!
      Silly me, I shall amend the blog. :)

      Delete
  6. These look fantastic mate!! It makes me want to restart some work on my Rogue Trader armies!

    ReplyDelete