Sunday 31 March 2024

A few of Rug Longtooths pre-slotta Night Goblins.

 Continuing with my 2nd Edition Warhammer Fantasy Battle painting, I have painted a couple of regiments of pre-slotta Goblins.

These regiments are based on the Night Goblins from Rug Longtooths army list from the 1st Edition Forces of Fantasy supplement. Given this I have chosen only pre-slotta C13 Goblins miniatures for the regiments, and tried to keep them thematic by choosing goblins with hoods and robes, and painting them a paler green than other goblins may be.

The warrior regiment is Ffug's Regiment, a unit of 30 Night goblins armed with sword and shield, and so accordingly they are based on the larger of the regimental bases giving a frontage of six models. The other regiment is Gobbin Honk's Archers, 20 Night goblin archers on the standard five by four sized regimental base.

As they are goblins, they were fun to paint. As mentioned I painted them a pale green flesh colour as the old 1st Edition description for Night Goblins suggests they are a more paler, pallid skin tone. The standard in Ffug's regiment is a variation of the half moon device used in many 1980s (and later!) banners, with the added 1980s John Blanche style sun device as a background. The runes were loosely copied from 1st/2nd Edition artwork.

With the advent of the new Warhammer: The Old World, I have become very distracted with some non 1980s things. Firstly I am looking to add a Tomb Kings Dragon to my Tomb Kings army. I may even consider re-basing all of the infantry onto 25mm bases.

Secondly, and most significantly, I have began the reorganisation, re-basing, and potentially finally painting, of my big hat Chaos Dwarf army. I have been adding odds and ends to what is quite a large army. With the new Warhammer this old 1990s relic (with some 2010's additions) is now a viable 'Legacy' army! I love the idea of tackling this project, and maybe even getting to do some gaming. I think the Chaos Dwarf infantry look great on the 25mm square bases, the smaller 20mm bases always put me off really tackling the army, and the round 25mm bases never felt right.

Enjoy :)

Ffug's Regiment
Side view.
The,erm, other side!
Gobbin Honk's Archers
I added a little piece of wall so I could have one of the goblins peering around it, maybe checking if it is safe enough to start routing yet!?
The goblins advance on some Dwarfs.

My next update will probably be on a few pre-slotta C27 Goblin Fanatics, and maybe a Ral Partha Giant.

6 comments:

  1. Great work on the goblin regiments Lee, your way of basing is tempting me on my fantasy models, must resist though ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. Perhaps you could do just a small army on the bigger bases for fun?

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about the bump in base size making things look better! I thought 4th edition Fantasy was the real tipping point for that. Your army's looking excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the bigger bases for which have been used for the new Warhammer: The Old World. I am currently re-basing my 1990s Chaos Dwarfs and they look a lot better on 25mm bases. You're right, before 4th edition there was still a some influence from historical wargames basing which was lost in the 1990s and has only come back recently I think due to the rise in availability of cheaper historical genre plastic kits.

      Delete
  3. The change to larger bases has been a long time coming. I always thought the smaller bases were a hang over from WFB 1st Ed. And true 25mm minis. My minis got converted long ago for other rules systems. But I get the trepidation over having to convert an army. As usual great to see these early minis and they look good on the army style basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right. The small bases were designed for the much smaller 1970s/1980s miniatures and were largely useless by the late 1980s. Trying to rank up some of the 1980s and 1990s miniatures on 20mm bases was a nightmare, Marauder Dark Elves for me were a prime example. I have re-based my Iron Claw Goblins on 25mm round bases and they look much better to me.
      I am quite pleased with the current Warhammer: The Old World decision to move to 25mm. It does mean a lot of re-basing, but I have been recently re-basing my 1990s Chaos Dwarfs and they look much better on the 25mm. Glad you like the regiment sized bases, I think with that idea you can space the miniature more realistically, and make little dioramas with the regiments, similar to some of the historical gaming basing.

      Delete