Sunday 15 September 2024

(Extra) Spiky Chaos Dwarfs.

 Over the summer I have been concerned with several different projects, dipping into one or another as time went by. One of these has been my 2nd/3rd edition Warhammer Chaos Dwarfs.

Here is a link to the range:
http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Chaos_Dwarfs

Whilst making steady progress with others things, I decided to tackle a range of miniatures which I have always liked, Citadel's C16/D3 Chaos Dwarfs from the 1980s. Now I have painted some of these in differing styles of the years, but I have never found the look I really wanted. Anyway, I sat down an thought about them and considered what I wanted from them. I came up with the idea that I wanted them to look dark armoured, spiky, and with some sort of red colour involved, but not to have them too overly detailed.

What I have settled on was to paint them black, with light gun metal/chain mail metallic paint, and any details a deep red moving into a blood red, but it was with the bases which I really wanted to make a statement. First of all I abandoned the 20mm square bases. I have always considered them far too small for the miniatures. So, with the current move to base a lot of miniatures on 25mm bases after the release of the new Warhammer Fantasy Battle, I chose 25mm square bases. These also link nicely to other Chaos ranges of the time. To give them that extra spiky feel, I added cut down cocktail sticks of various sizes poking up from the bases. My idea is that rather than natural defensive stakes/spikes (such as archer stakes) they are some sort of magical mutation of the ground of the Chaos Wastes. To add to that Chaotic feel, and to add that red look, I painted them and the earth red.

I am very pleased with how they look. They were fun to paint, and I have spent the last few evenings after work basing more, and cutting up more cocktail sticks. Also, to add to that Chaotic feel, I am adding some of Citadel's Chaos Familiars miniatures to the regiments.

Enjoy :)

Chaos Dwarf test models.
Kirgund Widowmaker.
Spikes Harveywotan.
Kaaos Armahand.
Scarsol Smashskull.
Rainhard Stump.
'Iron Clad Imp', for Citadel's Chaos Familiars range.
Chaos Dwarf Bazooka.
I tend to base war machines and artillery on round bases, rather than square, as I think they look better, and it differentiates them from infantry, etc.
The other side of the Bazooka.

Next update will probably be on some more of the infantry from Prince Wilhelm's army, although I have been painting a lot of Undead, some it might be some of those!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, now those are some real Chaos Dwarfs! I love them all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am really enjoying re-visiting them.

      Delete
  2. Great work on these classic Dwarves Lee, they were always my favourite version, and actually had most of the ones that were released, although I have long since parted with them, as I wasn't likely to do much with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They are a great range, very evocative of that mid 1980s Warhammer feel. Shame you don't have any anymore. I only had mine for fun, and for occasional use as an ally contingent, but I decided I wanted to use the all contingent list in Warhammer Armies as a basis (and excuse!) for painting them.

      Delete