Friday 29 July 2022

Paladins, Knights, and Lords of Battle.

 A bit of a busy month this month, but not alas with painting. I have however painted a few 1980's Citadel Paladins, Knights, and Lords of Battle range miniatures, really just for the fun of painting them. Nothing special in the painting, but I just wanted to paint a few of the Knights which I have had for a long time, and never painted. They will probably end up in a Rieksgard unit for my 3rd Edition Empire army.

In addition, I have been caught up by the current release of Games Workshops Horus Heresy range. I have dug out my old (2015, so not old really!) Betrayal at Calith box set and have been glueing plastic Mark III and IV Marines with an eye (a Horus based eye if you will) to build a Traitor Legion force, in my case a Thousand Sons army. More on that in a later update no doubt.  

Enjoy :)

F2 Fighter 'George Eaglehelm'.
I do love this miniature. He is bulky without being too big, and has splendid armour. The halberd/spear/double-handed weapon is unusual as well. He is actually only one of the miniatures in this batch which I had painted before, back in the 1980s, paint stripped, and repainted.
Rear view.
F5 Paladin 'Sir Kull of Death'.
I have no idea why I painted the armour red, but I thought it would suit him. With the two swords I think he looks a little more like a bandit or duellist, but he might just be a very earnest and determined Paladin?
Rear view.
F2 Lord of Battle range 'Furioso' (not to be confused with the Dreadnought class!).
He is a sturdy looking Knight with a heavy duty looking two-hand morning star. I though the ball and plume on his helm looked a little like a thistle, and so I painted it as such. He might end up as a Knight of Harkness in the rebel army from the McDeath scenario.
Rear view.
Another F2 Lord of Battle, this time 'Gustavus'.
He is armed with a big, mean, looking axe. His upper armour looks a little too bulky, but is fine, adding to the bulky feel of the model.
Rear view.
The final miniature is an old pre-slotta C01 fighter. I am not aware of him being named. I love the daemon head decoration on his helm.
Rear view.
A very modern distraction.

No idea what the next update will be on, I am currently between very modern miniatures, and some lovely Oldhammer things.:)

6 comments:

  1. Great work on all these old knights Lee, real trip down memory lane, especially the old pre slotta base one. Feal yor woes on the modern distractions, as GW seem to be trying to draw me back in, with their next Kill Team offering ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dave. I thought it would be nice to paint one of the old pre-slotta Knights, I really like the pose and his helm.
    GW are producing some lovely stuff at the moment, but it's a dangerous and slippery slope money wise. Still, it's fun tackling something current.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all these older minis and your painting's really brought them to life! I have to admit, for a second I thought Sir Kull was a ninja, and the unnamed fighter looks like the Black Knight from The Holy Grail :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, you're right, I think Sir Kull looks a lot like a ninja, it's an unusual sculpt. The Black Knights pose is very Monty Python.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful gallery of knights and paladins! You managed to avoid the monotony of full plate armour by giving each of them a different colour tone.
    We too had mistaken Sir Kull for a ninja: perhaps his red coloured helm can be mistaken at first glance for a cap. We know that putting your hands on a finished miniature can be annoying, but perhaps giving the helmet a steel colour to give contrast would avoid any misunderstanding ...
    Is there a difference in size between the miniatures, especially between the pre-slotta fighter and the later ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying. Thank you, they are nice little collection of Knights. Now you mention it I might make the highlighting on the head on the helm a little more pronounced. He isn't that much smaller than the slotta based knights, the slotta Knights themselves all being of a similar size amongst themselves.

      Delete