Tuesday 29 November 2022

Tomb Guard, Bone Giants, Archers, and an overview so far...

 I have been busy painting more Tomb Kings, and I am thoroughly enjoying painting them. I am finding them quite straight forward to paint and am getting a lot of them done.

The first photograph below is from my progress from earlier in the month, and so there are more completed than shown. For some reason I thought I had already posted a blog update this month, and was ready to post a second with the latest painted miniatures, but it turns out I hadn't!

In addition I have been assembling the last of the kits and re/assembling various Skeleton Warrior kits for the large number of  foot soldiers. Finally, I have painted moody looking desert and desert sky background boards for photography so I can have the miniatures in more of a context. The dead are on their relentless march forward...

Enjoy:)

The army, so far...
60 Plastic Tomb Guard.
I really loved this kit when it was realised, and bought several, and I have added odds and ends over the years. They appear to be quite sought after now, and rightly so as they are a lovely kit. There are four spare War Sphinx Tomb Guard mixed in, and about four converted armoured Skeleton Warriors to make up the numbers. I have also added a few swords to the mix of Halberds, and a few bare heads, just to give a little more individuality.
On the horizon.
First regiment.
Second regiment.
Third regiment.
Regimental leaders.
Standard Bearers.
Musicians.
Halberdiers.
Shields.
Rear view.
Swordsmen.
I love the look of the Tomb Blades, and I was a little short of Halberds as some of the Tomb Guard were e-Bay purchases, and so I thought it would be fine and look ok to mix a few in.
A couple of the recently promoted Skeleton Warriors. Tucked in the regiments, and with Tomb Guard bits they don't really look out of place.
Finecast Liche.
I like the miniature, but it's a shame it is Finecast.
Bone Giant.
I really liked the Bone Giants when they were first released I loved their style and sculpting, and they were a scary opponent for enemies in the first incarnation of the Tomb Kings Army book. I used to field two when I could, causing mayhem. Later I think they were a little overshadowed by the Necrosphinx. Still, I enjoyed painting them and love the miniatures, and I am happy with how they both turned out.
Rear view.
The second Bone Giant.
Rear view.
Close up of the detailing of the Bone Giant.
One of the things I am  slightly pleasantly surprised about with the painting technique I am using for the army is how well the muted dry brushing is bringing out the superb detailing of some of the Tomb Kings miniatures. I am a fan of the 'less is more' painting approach and it is quite rewarding to see how playing with basic highlighting is transpiring.
Two Regiments of Skeleton Archers.
These form a sizable portion of the foot soldiers I have another regiment of 20 to paint, and also have Khalida's regiment of 40 archers already painted, giving me a 100 Archers (well 99 really plus Khalida). 
First Regiment.
Second Regiment.
A few of the archers.
Rear view.

Next month with be more Tomb Kings. I am determined to keep going and finish this project. There are a lot of them, with 200 Skeleton Warriors, 21 Chariots, another Necrosphinx, another Warsphinx, Necropolis Knights, Tomb Scorpions, Catapults, and of course Sterra himself (to name just a few things!)


7 comments:

  1. What an awesome work. They look marvellous, what an army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber. I am about a third of the way through the army so far and thoroughly enjoying painting them. Glad you like the style I have gone for, I wanted a darker and dustier feel to them.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic progress Lee, the whole army really looks the part, and the background sets them off really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. I loosely based the sky background on some of the artwork in the second of the Tomb Kings army books which gives a deep and heavy feel to the sky. The red of the sky tones with the light red shading on the miniatures to give a gloomy feel. I think that the darker desert works nicely with the darker shades of the skeletons to make them feel dusty and old. I'm pleased with how they are turning out, and having fun painting them.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful army! We really like your attention to the colour combinations between miniatures, basing and lanscape. And it is not easy to combine attention to detail with the task of painting such a large and varied number of pieces. Approximately how many miniatures will your army ultimately consist of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you like them.
      I wanted to paint the army quickly and without a lot of fuss. I do like the less is more approach to painting, and I wanted to combine this with a more 'realistic' and dusty look to the army, without losing too much of the detailing of the sculpts.

      The layering of dry brushing does bring out the depth of details. Then giving certain areas a little colour, but with a limited palette then brings attention to some of those details without them looking too busy.
      In all I have approximately between 400 and 440 miniatures in the army. I can do a full inventory for the next blog update for you if you wanted?

      Delete
  4. Wow, we are blown away! (btw, we won't be able to paint even half of your army in one life...). Sure having an inventory would be fascinating, if it doesn't take up too much time.

    ReplyDelete