Tuesday 14 November 2023

Late Rogue Trader era to 40k 2nd Edition Screamer Killers / Carnifexes.

 Whilst sorting through boxes of old miniatures I rediscovered my old Screamer Killer/Carnifex miniatures. I did paint up a couple in a pale colour scheme a few years ago, but thought they needed a little more colour.

Anyway, I opted for a bright, alien looking, red. After mounting them on 60mm bases, I undercoated them Mechanicus Standard Grey, base coated Mephiston Red, washed with Blood Angels Red contrast, highlighted with Evil Sunz Scarlet, lightly highlighted with Trollslayer Orange, and a final even lighter highlight with Yriel Yellow. Of course I left each stage to dry first before applying the next. Basing was with Martian Ironcrust, with a very light drybrush of Game Colours Scorpion Green. The tufts are a mix of Gamers Grass 6mm Alien Neon, Alien Pink, and Alien Turquoise.

Overall I am very happy with the the result. They are a little brighter than planned, but I think that added to the otherworldly alien feel. I wanted a look of something which didn't quite look like it belonged on a green and pleasant planet or urban cityscape.

I am actually in the middle of painting some Iron Claw Squat as well, some of which are in the photographs below. I will do an update on these a little later in the month.

Enjoy :)

Seven Screamer Killers/Carnifexes.
Closing in for the kill!
(Squats for scale, and, it appears, for lunch as well!).
"Do you need a hug?"
Rogue Trader era Dominator, with Iron Claw Squats.
As mentioned, I have been painting some old Iron Claw Squats. I opted for a paint scheme based on the old 'Action Force Z Force' toys sold in the UK in the early/mid 1980s.
I also decide to rebase my Dominator miniatures to match the Squats, and added a Squat casualty to one of the bases.
The other Dominator miniature, all freshly rebased.

The next blog update will be on the Iron Claw Squats which I am painting at the moment. I also have a batch of 40k Zoats on the painting table too.

In addition to the Rogue Trader miniatures, I am looking to start a goblin project. My plan is to revisit my both my Fantasy Tribe Great Goblins/Gnolls and Dwarf armies. The idea is to paint them and base them onto regiment sized bases, rather than individually, or on smaller bases of three or so. I like the visual effect and the modelling possibilities of having regiment sized bases of miniatures to game with, and I think that the Fantasy Tribe miniatures will suit this well. The miniature Company Satanic Panic has done something similar with their miniatures and some old Fantasy Tribe miniatures. But more on this idea at a later date.

8 comments:

  1. I think the look you've achieved Lee on your screamer killers, captures the alien otherworldly vibe you were aiming for perfectly. The dominators look great also and a real blast from the past, the Squat colour scheme looks great, and look forward to seeing more, and you're Zoats as well, as they were a personal favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think the background and neon aquarium plants helps lend an alien look to the screamer killers as well, but the I was pleased how they came out after painting, glad you think so too. I'm halfway through the oats, they are a mix of the red look I have used for the scream killers, and green.

      I was stuck for a paint scheme for the Squats and I had tried various ones but none seemed to really feel right. I wanted something sci fi rather than grim and a gritty and was thinking of scheme from things from my childhood when I suddenly remembered the Z Force range of Action Force figures. I tried it out and the combination of orange, grey and blue worked. I've played around with the basic colour scheme a bit, and painted quite a few, so I will update more soon.

      Delete
  2. Those squats are so dead! Is that Dominator smiling? A great looking ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think you may be right, it does look like it's smiling. I think the Squats will be fine, as it turns out they didn't all get eaten by Tyranids after all!

      Delete
  3. Great stuff! Tough break for those squats, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. No, it's not looking good for them. :(

      Delete
  4. Ooooh, the mighty Carnifex! These look awesome! I sold my Tyrannid army ages ago, but if I was ever to keep one mini, it would definitely have been this Carnifex. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The old Carnifex is a lovely miniature and fun to paint. I've seen a lot of them on the internet where people have used nature as inspiration and come up with some really interesting colour schemes. They do have quite a tabletop presence as well.

      Delete