Tuesday 31 October 2023

Iron Claw Undead.

 Halloween horror!  I have no internet and so I am updating my blog via mobile phone, iit is a brief updat

I have been sorting through my collection of Iron Claw miniatures sculpted by Bob Olley during his time with Games Workshop. Now I never really liked the sculpting at the time,  but over the years I have come to appreciate them more, although I am aware that they are not to everyone's taste.

Recently I have been organising my Iron Claw Goblins, Dwarves, and Orcs, with a mind to paint them together in a Tolkien vibe. The Dwarves have received reinforcement from the Essex Miniatures range of Bob Olley miniatures as well. Which brings me to the Undead. 

For the Undead I like the idea of painting them in ethereal colours to suggest the Deadmen of Dunharrow. I only have five so far, but Ebay and Essex Miniatures will in time add to their numbers. 

Painting wise, it was a white undercoat,  wash with Tesseract Glow,  and then light dry brushing with white when dry .

Enjoy 🙂








5 comments:

  1. Bob is a real 'Marmite' sculptor and I really think his style suits particular model ranges. His trolls and ogres I really like but not so keen on others. The Dunharrow look does suit these minis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some people really cannot stand his work, whilst others love it. I used to dislike it, but I appreciate it more now, but think it works better when his miniatures are used together rather than mixed with other sculptures work. Saying that, his trolls and ogres do crossover nicely. Glad you like the Dunharrow approach to painting them.

      Delete
  2. Haha, I think I have quite similar vibes about Bob Olley and my perception of his work through time. Anyway, I love your approach here, it's most effective and they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i think it might be true for a lot of people that time changes ones perception of Bob Olley's work. Ive spoken to several people over the years who have said the same thing. Glad you like them, it had been bugging me for some time how to make the most of his amazing sculpting details without getting too preoccupied with the said details.

      Delete
  3. Great work on the undead Lee, they have the LOTR vibe, so goal achieved I would say.

    ReplyDelete