Thursday 28 September 2023

Praetorian Las Cannons, and a Leman Russ

 This is the last of the batch of Praetorian photographs for a while. I have finished off painting three Las Cannon teams, and experimented with painting a tank. I am going to return to the Praetorian army a little later, but will be focusing on another project from October.

I wanted to try out a paint scheme for the tanks which matched the colour and look of the heavy weapons. I wanted something which looked a little more realistic, without being too camouflaged. After all, it would seem strange to have a camouflaged tank next to red tunic infantry! Anyway, I painted the tank Vallejo Khaki, washed it with Nuln Oil, again some Khaki, and then highlighted the tank and its tracks with ushabti bone to give an overall dusty feel. I still need to add vehicle recognition details, but I'll leave that for later

For the Las Cannon teams I chose a blue uniform to match the old nineteenth century British Royal Artillery uniform. I painted the tunic cuffs and epaulettes red to add a little bit of red in order to tie in with the rest of the army. The Las Cannons where painted in the same manner as the tank. I think the look works well, and breaks up the red tunic of the infantry squads without being too jarring.

Enjoy :)

Leman Russ Punisher.
The front of the tank.
Rear view.
Infantry advancing with the tank.
Las Cannon teams.
Las Cannon teams in a more staggered formation.
Close up view showing the blue uniforms with the red cuffs and epaulettes.
The battle line of painted Praetorians so far, from above.
The battle line from the side.

The next blog update will be something quite different. I am currently working on two projects. The first is Mithril Miniatures Mordor Orc army. The second is an Iron Claw Goblin army.So I am undecided which to opt for at the moment.

3 comments:

  1. I know I've said it before, but I'm really enjoying this project, everything is enormously cool. Looking forward to your next piece of work; whatever you decide, it will be awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suber.
      I'm still not sure which project to go for, but whichever one I choose, I will be returning to the Praetorians at some point. I have quite a sizable Mithril Orc army I would like to paint, but the beautifully detailed Iron Claw Goblins on my work table are very tempting to start.

      Delete
  2. All excellent looking additions to this army Lee, the tank colour was a great choice, doesn't jar against the uniforms, and the heavy weapon teams fit in well.

    ReplyDelete